Westone Thunder III
There are at least 3 versions of this model
Specs from the 1981 catalogue .
- Body - Canadian Ash, Hard Maple and Walnut
- Neck - through neck, Hard Maple and Walnut 5 piece laminate
- Ebony fingerboard, brass nut. 25.5 inch scale, 24 frets
- Steel tailpiece and bridge with brass saddles
- Metal backplates (Presumably like those on the Thunder II and III basses - anodised aluminium, not brass)
- 2 Magnet-F530 pickups
- Controls - Master volume, tone, equalizer volume: coil tap, phase and active EQ switches, 3 way pickup selector
- Active EQ is + or - 25 db with a centre zero position, gain is adjustable up to 13db.
- Available in Walnut and Sunset Red
- Optionally available with an XLR connector instead of the more usual jack socket.
- Script logo on headstock
Version 2 (1982-3)
As shown in the 1982-3 catalogue. Differences from the earliest version:
- HF530G pickups
- More ornate Swiftlok tailpiece
- Controls - master volume, tone, equalizer tone (Active gain is not adjustable)
Version 3 (1983-?)
As shown in the 1983 catalogue, this version does not have active
- Body - solid Maple
- Neck - 3 ply Maple, heelless built in
- Rosewood fingerboard, bone nut
- 25.5 inch scale, 22 frets
- Black plastic backplates
- S/H/S pickups (Super II/Hammer I/Super II)
- Precision tremolo tailpiece
- Controls - Master volume and two tone, 3 way pickup selector for the single coil pickups, 'mix sound' switch for centre pickup, 3 way coil tap switch for centre pickup, phase switch
- 'Bird' W logo on headstock - the logo is inlaid Mother of Pearl.
- Available in Onyx and Pearl Silver